Saturday, January 23, 2010

Flour Tortillas

Mike and I were watching Good Eats on the Food Network the other night and Guy was visiting all these Mexican diners. I got a major hankering for tacos. So I dug around the pantry and refrigerator this morning to see what I could find. To my delight, we had everything I needed... except for tortillas. So I set out to make some.

One of my favorite food blogs actually just posted a tutorial for making corn tortillas... but alas, we had no maseca. We did, however, have plenty of flour, so off to work I went. I modified (and halved) this recipe.

Flour Tortillas (makes about 9)

1 C unbleached all-purpose flour

1 1/2 C whole wheat flour

1/4 c olive oil

1 t salt

3/4 C boiling water

all-purpose flour for rolling

In a food processor, mix flour, oil, and salt. Pour in boiling water and mix until a dough forms. Knead on a floured surface until the dough is smooth. Roll into golf ball sized balls, and set on a piece of waxed paper with a towel covering them. Let rest 1-8 hours (the longer the better).

DSC06414

Heat a frying pan over high heat. Roll out each ball into a tortilla (I found placing a piece of waxed paper over the dough worked well for rolling). Place one at a time in frying pan, about 30 seconds per side. Roll out each subsequent tortilla while the previous one is cooking. I suppose you could cut around each one to make them more circular, but I didn't!

DSC06418

We made chicken tacos, which were a huge hit, even with my somewhat picky 2 year-old! I wanted to make salsa to go with them, but said kiddo made that mostly impossible. :-)

DSC06419

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!! I just organized my (printed and clipped) recipes this afternoon and found a long-lost recipe for flour tortillas! I'll have to try them sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete