Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Avocado Salsa

Avocado Salsa

Mmmmm. I love avocados. Really, really love them.

I don't think I ever ate an avocado until college, when my roommates Jenny and Beef would make and eat a whole avocado's worth of guacamole in one sitting. Love those girls. And, because of them, I now love avocado.

Last week at my nephew's birthday party Mike's cousin made an incredible salsa that I really enjoyed! I looked up the recipe on All Recipes (my favorite recipe website, by the way) and tweaked it to my liking/ what I had on hand.

Avocado Salsa (measurements are for 2 servings)

1/2 can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 1/2 C frozen corn, thawed

1/4 onion, diced

1/4 green bell pepper, diced

1/2 avocado, peeled and diced

1/3 to 1/2 can diced tomatoes

1/2 C fresh cilantro

juice of 1/2 lemon (I'd use lime if I had it!)

1/4 t garlic powder

1/4 t grated orange zest

kosher salt to taste

*next time I think I might try adding 1/2 t of sugar

Combine ingredients in a bowl and squeeze lemon juice. Store in refrigerator overnight before eating. (You can wait to add the avocado until just before eating, if you choose.)

3 comments:

  1. mmm! Looks yummy! I'd definitely use a whole avocado though - I ate a whole one this morning for breakfast! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a very yummy salsa...and if you ever need a friend to help you eat an entire avocado's worth of guac in one sitting again, I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I could be of some service to your avocado addiction. Incidentally, if you need help with that addiction I attend AA (Avocado's Anonymous) on Thursdays. ;)

    ReplyDelete