Saturday, January 9, 2010

Breaking Bread

"And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they partook of food with glad and generous hearts." Acts 2:46

I'm not making any resolutions for 2010. Some years I do, and some I don't. This year I feel like I'm in the midst of several goals for my family and myself, so it seems like resolutions would be redundant.

Something has been on my heart lately, though, so I am making a 2010 commitment.

Four months ago when I had Charlie my wonderful Mommy friends, who I met through my hospital's nursing support group, signed up to bring us meals. Every evening for two full weeks someone came to drop off food and visit with us. TWO full weeks! We were so blessed by those meals. When another member of that group had her little girl a month later, everyone stepped up again. I think this is true for many of us, but my first response when I hear of someone experiencing a hardship, major life event, etc. is to show up with food. It got me thinking... what a wonderful, deep rooted tradition!

In Biblical days, "breaking bread" was a significant event. In Ancient times bread was likely the primary food. God showed his provision by providing the Israelites with manna from the sky. The New Testament calls Jesus the "Bread of Life" and "Bread from heaven," and of course we know that Jesus broke bread during the Lord's Supper, a tradition carried on by his disciples. Breaking bread was a significant part of the worship of the early church, and continues to be though the tradition of the Lord's Supper as a remembrance of Jesus' death and resurrection.

Sure, breaking bread obviously refers to the event of participating in the Lord's Supper- but it also refers to participating in Christian community. It is important for Christians to do both- worshiping and fellowshipping- and as an extension of that, witnessing. Thus begins my commitment in 2010.

Breaking Bread

Each week of 2010, I'm going to use food to fellowship, witness, worship, bless, help, or share, however God sees fit. Whether it sees me taking food to someone in need, donating to a pantry, fellowshipping with a friend over coffeecake, or teaching a new recipe, remains to be seen. I also have seven friends due with a baby between May and June, so I guess I already have a 7/52nd head start on planning! I'll post a Breaking Bread update each Monday to document what might just be my favorite non-resolution ever!

If you take interest and want to join me in my challenge, any random week or for the whole year, just leave your Breaking Bread moment in the comments! Maybe one day I'll figure out the linky thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment