Sunday, January 17, 2010

Eat from the Pantry Challenge- Week 3!

EFTP_button_300

We've been eating from the pantry for 17 days now, and all is still going well. This week's meals included "fake" fried rice, cheeseburger soup, pizzas, and, the biggest hit, sweet potato manicotti. It's a made-up recipe, so I'll have to try to recreate to post it.

Today I reorganized our pantry and took closer inventory. I'd done that with the freezer, but not yet with the pantry. I also made turkey stock (finally!) from the turkey carcass that was in my freezer leftover from Thanksgiving. And, I made crockpot yogurt. In addition, our grocery store had a killer sale this week! I used almost all of the rest of our budgeted $50 for the month, meaning that we will very likely go over. Jack just won't last 14 more days without buying milk again!

Based on that, here are some things we might be eating this week:

Baked Potatoes topped with Broccoli and Ranch Dip (made from yogurt cheese)

Turkey & Rice (and chicken, cause that's what's in the freezer :) Soup

Crockpot Lasagna

Chef Salad

Blackbean Salsa

Tacos

Looking at the devastation in Haiti this week, I can't help but feel unbelievably blessed. To have such an abundance of food that I can feed our family for a month on very little... I'm so very grateful.

4 comments:

  1. So happy to have found that crockpot yogurt recipe back when she posted it! It's better every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you add any thickener to yours? I used to use organic dry milk, then switched to just straining through coffee filters. This time I used a gelatin packet since I happened to have one leftover and I wasn't super impressed. I ended up straining anyway. Maybe I didn't do it right...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to crockpot yogurt! I'll give that a try.

    I'm with you on feeling so humbled by the footage of Haiti. It's a tragedy on a scale that I can't even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, I don't use anything but milk & a yogurt starter - I think the trick is to make sure it gets hot enough. I looked at some other tutorials that suggested that the milk needs to get to at least 180 degrees. I use a meat thermometer, but you can also pretty much guess it is that hot when a skin forms on top of the milk. Make sure it's well insulated after you add the yogurt, too. I mix it in when the milk cools to 120.

    ReplyDelete